Thursday 21 May 2015

"You don't have to be great to start - but you have to start to be great." Making of Personal Project

The third and final part of my brief is a personal project, free reign to do whatever I wanted! So I decided to think about possibilities for what I would like to do in the future and merchandising. So I thought of Pop! Vinyl figures and thought I would do my own version of them, but as a self-portrait in a mini set with mini props, so I would get to make a variety of new things for one project.

I started with the making the mini set mini-me would be situated in. So I cut four pieces of MDF using brackets to hold together the outside, using No More Nails glue. 
Cut up some lollipop sticks (thanks Bilbie! ;)) and placed them as floorboards. Then added the wallpaper, painted some timber with white acrylic paint and created the skirting boards. Made the mini-me using wire, milliput and polystyrene ball for the head, covered and added details in Sculpey beige. Hand painted this then with acrylics.


I made a mini mini version of the Land Rover from a previous project, made from balsa wood, Sculpey and buttons for the wheels! I cut off the ends off some plastic spoons and glued them to a button with epoxy glue. Added some coloured beads which would be the wheels and bottom of the office chair.


I sprayed the two parts of the office chair with black spray paint. I cut up an old leather bag to cover the office chair with. Using balsa wood and timber lining I made a desk, using parts of bracelets for the drawer handles.


Made some miniature sculpting tools from Sculpey and bits/bobs like needles, pins, earring studs, bracelet parts, etc. Handpainted all of the mini-me sculpt. Made a chest of drawers the same way I made the desk. 


I made a mini noticeboard like the one I have in my bedroom full of material lists, to-do lists and post-it notes. I made a mini PS4 out of balsa wood, the cable is thin wire with heat shrink tubing around it and the controller made from Sculpey and sprayed black. Photo frames and saw made from balsa wood too.


I made a bookshelf from balsa wood. The books were made from offcuts of wood wrapped in paper/card and leather. Different sizes to be different books including sketchbooks. The TV is just a piece of balsa wood sprayed with a very thick coat of black spray paint. Printed off a still shot from one of my favourite TV shows, Hannibal. Added more wire coming from behind the TV. Trimmed down some cocktail sticks and dipped the very tips in different coloured acrylic paint to become coloured pencils. 


Filled up some space on the desk with plans of the Land Rover and a coffee cup (nothing without caffeine!) Added more photo frames on the walls. More books and frames in the bookshelf and on top of the bookshelf added two candles.


For only having a week to make this I really enjoyed making it because it was making lots of new things that I hadn't made before, so it gave me a lot of confidence to leave my comfort zone every now and again.

No comments:

Post a Comment