Friday 11 December 2015

Isn't it ironic, don't you think?

"If you find that you are chasing some story round and round in your mind try and bring yourself back to your body. To the paintbrush in your hand. To the colour or image or shape on the paper in front of you. Let it be simple."

You know... Sometimes, when you listen to a song and you relate to the lyrics or the melody just seems to resonate with what you're feeling at that particular time or even when watching a film, and you get so excited to follow the protagonists journey etc, etc.. 
Those stop-you-dead-in-your-tracks-type-moments? Yeah, I had one just now reading this particular page which I will link below and seriously recommend everyone read. 

People ask me why I paint and I will always give them the same answer, and it's an answer that will never change. I feel weightless and in my own world completely, and that in turn gives me unlimited power and strength because it cannot be taken away from me - I will always have that. People say that you can only paint if you're extremely happy or extremely sad, I am neither so reading that page by Chris Zydel was like someone giving my head a wobble and realisation hit me like a tonne of bricks. 

How I describe the feeling to anyone who wants to know or understand... You know when it's absolutely bucketing down with rain and you're driving down roads and motorways, windscreen wipers going, people passing you left, right and centre and all of a sudden you drive underneath a bridge. For that split second there is that complete peace and silence before resuming the noise? That, right there is what I can think of the physical representation of what painting feels like to me. Life can get as hectic as it wants to, so can my emotions, so can my feelings, but when I am painting? Untouchable.

So here is another sunset study before bed, inspiration taken from a photo sent by a friend. Now, please give this a read: (it's brilliant.)





No comments:

Post a Comment